Last modified 01/25/2024
Peru is one of the top tourist attractions in the Americas. Not only does it have beautiful places, but also its interesting history and culture fascinate millions of tourist from around the world year after year. Besides its numerous archaeological sites, Peru’s territory has coast, mountains and jungle, all of which comprise a great variety of wildlife.
People interested in visiting Peru will find the following paragraphs very useful. But, this list is quite small in comparison with all the places this wonderful country has to offer.
1. Lima: it is the country’s capital and one of the most visited cities by foreign tourists. Its valuable historical center has the Plaza de Armas and the impressive Cathedral of LIma. In this city you may also visit Convent of Santo Domingo, Huaca Puccllana and Magic Water Tour, which attracts thousands of tourists from around the world.
2. Cusco: it is one of the most important cities in Peru and one of the most famous in the world. It is also known as the “center of the universe”. It has one of the new Seven Wonders of the World: the Machupicchu citadel. If you decide to visit this city, plan it first, because it has many stunning places which are impossible to visit in just a few days. You should not miss the Sacred Valley of the Incas, Ollantaytambo or the Sacsayhaman fortress.
3. Cajamarca: it is another marvelous city in Peru, due to its nature and colonial architecture. You must visit the popular Inca Baths, Cumbemayo, Ventanillas de Otuzco, Kuntur Wasi and beautiful La Colpa ranch.
4. San Martin: it is among the warmest departments in Peru. It is within the jungle region and has plenty of parks and beautiful landscapes. Here you may visit the cities of Tarapoto and Moyobamba, which has the Aguashiyaky and del Hera Falls, the Rio Abiseo National Park, the Petroglyphs of Polish and the Gran Pajatén archaeological site. You should not miss Laguna Azul, where harmony and nature prevail.
5. Madre de Dios: here you can leave everything behind and connect with nature. This location is surrounded by parks and nature reserves such as the Manú National Park and Tambopata-Candamo. There you may know thousands of bird, mammal, insect, butterfly, plant and flower species, among others.
6. Trujillo: it is also known as the “City of Eternal Spring” and stands out for its warm climate all year round. Once there, you may visit the largest adobe city in the Americas, Chan Chan. You may also tour the temples of the Sun and Moon, built by ancient Mochicas. You should not miss the Huanchaco beaches and sail in the traditional “caballitos de totora”. If you have spare time you can head to the city of Chiclayo, two hours away from Trujillo. There you may visit the On Site Museum in Sipán, as well as enjoy their delicious cooking.
7. Tumbes: this department in northern Peru is well known for its beaches and hills. It has the most beautiful beaches in the country, such as Punta Sal, with warm water and white sand. Once there, you should not miss Puerto Pizarro, its islands and crocodiles, the Amotape Hills National Park, the Gulf of Guayaquil-Tumbes mangroves and the Pacific tropical rainforest. This department shares a border with Ecuador.