How long does it take to get US Citizenship after application :
The foreign citizens living at the U.S.A want to become into legal American citizens, but they must know it is an important decision due it will mean a lot of serious changes in their life.
Now then, becoming into an American citizen is not an easy task at all, because it is necessary to perform a naturalization process, but that of course will be if they have the needed requirements.
The naturalization process to obtain the American residence is a complex process and takes a good amount of time. However, these last years, the Immigration and Citizenship Service Office proposed to finish the long process in less than 5 month. It is important to mention that a few years ago; the same process took at least 9 months and even more to end up successfully.
Before the beginning of the naturalization process, it is indispensable to gather the next important requirements:
– You must at lest be 18 years old
– You must have been living at the U.S.A as a permanent resident at least 5 years, or 3 years if you are married with a natural American citizen.
– You must have been living at the U.S.A at least 30 months during the last 5 years. If you are married with a natural American citizen, then the time will be reduce to 18 months during the last 3 years
– You must have been living on a State or a district during the last 3 years before showing your application form of American citizenship
– Also, you must show with concrete proofs that you never committed any moral fault, I mean any crime, and also you must not have any bad antecedents. Likewise you must have a good knowledge of the English language and the civic rules of the U.S.A.
The requirement may change; it will depend on the condition of the foreign citizen living at the U.S.A. then, if you gathered all of these requirements, the foreign citizen can begin the naturalization process, after the previous payment of course. The naturalization process or American citizenship counts with the following phases: presentation and payment for the form N-400 (naturalization application form, photos and other document), the biometric process, the personal interview and the citizenship exam, and finally the oath ceremony.
It is important to mention that the naturalization application form N-400 costs 595 American dollars plus the 8 American dollars bill for the biometric services, gives us as result 675 American dollars.
– Naturalization application form N-400: it counts with 10 pages and it has to be filled in correctly, then it will be sent to the correct service Center, including the two photos (passport length), the payment for the requested form and other specific documents.
It is recommendable to have a copy of each document before sending them to the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service). Within the 30 days after you sent your form N-400 and your documents, the applicant will receive a letter which says that your application has been accepted .
– Biometric Process: A month or two after you sent your form N-400 and your documents, you will receive a new letter which says where and when you have to go to record your fingerprints, your signature and the shape of your face. The most of the times the USCIS can send another letter asking for more information, that is the reason why, the process can be a little quite long.
– Personal Interview and the exam: Between the tree and six months after you sent your form N-400 and your documents, you will receive a new letter with the date, hour and place where you must go to be interviewed and to take the respective exam of American citizenship.
– The Oath ceremony: Within the five or six months after you sent your form N-400 and your documents, you will receive a notification with the date, hour and place where you Oath Ceremony will be placed, on this event you will receive at last your naturalization certification.
– Once you obtained the American citizenship, the new American citizen will have to accept all of the respective duties and at the same time will receive some new privileges and rights.